Ever since I was a little girl I always said I was going to serve a mission. But once I got in high school and college I decided that maybe the mission wasn't really for me. I was just going to wait and see where my life was at when I was getting close to 21. When I pictured my life at 21 I imagined myself in nursing school, so I figure that a mission wasn't going to happen. Well you know Heavenly Father has a funny sense of humor...
I applied three times for nursing school, very frustrating because I REALLY wanted to get in. But each time it just wasn't in the cards for me. On my last application which I submitted August 2012 I realized that I was getting closer and closer to 21. So I made the decision that if I didn't get in to nursing school this time that I would consider going on a mission. Well I wasn't suppose to be finding out until about November right around Thanksgiving if I got in or not. Now if you know me you know that I like to have my life planned out so the waiting around was killing me. Anyway I was sitting in the temple one day after doing baptisms for the dead, and I was praying and just thinking then all of a sudden I saw myself out on the streets talking to people about the church. This kind of freaked me out. So I prayed to Heavenly Father if a mission is what I was suppose to do. (Keep in mind this was the Wednesday before conference) I prayed that somehow during conference weekend that I would be able to get an answer, and I left the temple. Well then comes the weekend and I went home. I was suppose to go with my dad to the Saturday morning session, but of course I slept in a little too late for us to be able to make it in time. So I was all sad that I wasn't going to be able to go, but my dad and mom reminded me that because I wasn't going meant that someone who probably has never been to a conference session was able to go instead, so that made me feel a little better. Now it was time for conference to start and I took my spot on my couch to sit and watch it...
About seven minutes in to the conference my life was changed like so many other people. When President Monson made the announcement about the young men's age change I stood up and walked so I was standing right in front of the TV just amazed. THEN he announced that sister were able to go at 19. My jaw pretty much fell to the floor and I looked at my mom. It was right then that I received my answer that I was going to go on a mission. That whole day was just so spiritual. Well then my phone started to freak out with texts. Everyone was saying, "are you going?!" Needless to say right after the first speaker started talking I grabbed my phone and contacted my executive secretary asking him if I could meet with my bishop. He responded with "I wonder how long it would take for you to ask."
The following Sunday after conference weekend I met up with my bishop and I started my papers. The only thing was I was sitting waiting to see if I had gotten into nursing school. In the back of my head though I knew that I wasn't going to get in, so I busily worked on my papers getting them pretty much completely but I didn't want to submit them until I knew that I hadn't gotten in for sure.
Fall break comes around and I am at home raking the leaves with my dad. My mom goes out and gets the mail. She kind of sneaks my dad away and tells him that I got a letter from Weber State Nursing school but she was afraid to tell me. My dad comes out and says I got mail. So I go and hold the envelope in my hand. That was the moment right there that I knew for a surety that I had not gotten in. I opened it and sure enough I didn't. But surprisingly this time (unlike the second time I applied) I didn't cry because I knew that was Heavenly Fathers way of telling me that I need to go and serve him. When I got back up to school I scheduled an appointment with my stake president and he pressed the submit button. I had no doubt this is what I needed to do.
Now the waiting for the call began....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, you made me cry! I felt the spirit so strongly (the chills and everything) as I read your posts, especially the last one about receiving your answer to serve a mission. You will be such a great missionary because you have so much love to give others and know how to help others enjoy life! I am so excited to hear about your journey! Thanks for doing the post! Love you!
ReplyDelete